The Street.com via Yahoo Finance ran a piece this morning about the "Ten Traits that Make You Filthy Rich." Just like in the book, "The Millionaire Next Door" they make the case that personal finance and living within your means is none of the best determining factors on whether or not you will be financially successful.
Their Top Ten list:
- Patience - Being able to wait to make purchases, ride out stock dips and save for the long term
- Satisfaction - Being happy with what you have. In Dave Ramsey's speak...avoiding Stuffitis!
- Organization - Being as productive as possible. Avoiding Stupid Taxes such as late fees!
- Discipline - "Personal finance isn't a way to get rich quick, but is a disciplined execution of your lifetime plans." Perfect!
- Reflectiveness - Learning from you mistakes
- Creativity - Doing whatever it takes to get out of debt, avoid picking up new ones and being agile in all things!
- Curiosity - Learn, Study and Improve yourself. I like to always look at Constant and Never-Ending Improvement to quote the tall one!
- Risk Taker - Doesn't mean betting it all on black, but understanding that there is a risk=reward balance and not being over-conservative.
- Goal Oriented - A favorite of mine. If you are working a Success Plan you are just working!
- Working Hard and Smart - Are you willing to put in the time? If not you are going to have a tough time getting truly ahead.
More then any other time in our history we have the ability to reach some pretty lofty financial heights in we plan for success, budget, live within our means, manage our money and invest wisely!