Sponsored Links

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Small Town Movie Theaters



A quick break from money management for a second. One thing I miss about being in a bigger city like Salt Lake, is the dirth of places to see a movie. I am not talking about "Die Hard 74" I mean the off-the beaten path movies.

For my B-Day the Ms. and I were going to see "There Will be Blood." Just us no kids, nearly 3 hours of quite time! And as of yesterday it isn't playing anymore...to make room for "Meet the Spartans"...The movie that is up for best picture got bumped by next years "Razzie" winner.

We have been so good about not spending money, that we have curtailed our movie going, which is a favorite thing for me to do. Before we would go to most new releases even before most of our friends.

In a way this does tie into personal finance a bit. By being responsible with money sometimes we can be/feel a bit more isolated from others who do spend. Whether that is them talking about their fabulous vacation, new clothes, car etc. I truly am not a jealous sort of person, and I don't wish that I was doing anything else, but what we are doing right now. But it is interesting how much of what we talk about togehter socially ties to spending.

How about you? Have you ever felt cut off because you were being responsible?

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

YES! I always feel a little away from the norm. People give me funny looks when I tell them I'm not going out to lunch with the rest of the office. They just don't get it. They don't understand why I would want to "deprive" myself (their words, not mine). The Internet is my only refuge!!! :)

Noel Larson said...

It is funny that the ones doing the right things are pariahs and the ones spending into a huge debt pool are looked at as social.

However, when you have your first million, they will look and say, "Oh, she was always lucky!"

Glad you have the Internet and thnks for reading!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I love London - there is so much to do there - theatres, great museums etc. But, it would cost way too much to live there.

Noel Larson said...

I guess it IS too much to askto have all of the culture at the prices of a small town!

Un fortunatly this town has gotten very expensive as it is a retirement magnet. Oregon has no sales tax (but high property taxes).

Given that we are in southern Oregon, we get a lot of California refuges!

Thanks for commenting!

Anonymous said...

Some days, definitely. It's just nice to have close friends who understand. That helps us feel better about it.

Noel Larson said...

I agree..and I guess it is why I like Blogging. You instantly know there are others in the same boat as you!

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links

Great Deals