Saturday is bill paying day and I was feeling pretty good. We paid everything, our overflow (which is our cash leftover after two weeks) gave us the ability to refill our coffers from our recent Ninja Bill, and we have hit my initial savings goal for the month already.
Then as I was tallying something hit me. Over the last 60+ days we have been able, as a family, to pay off about $4300 worth of debt. This is due to my checks being a bit higher for those two months and applying all of that plus our budget savings to draining the debt pool.
Then it hit me...this isn't just a number, this is payment of a lot of things that we just couldn't wait for; dinners, rounds of golf, guitar stuff, a couple new furniture pieces, etc..
Holy smokes, if we were debt free, think what we could have done with that money!
- Taken a trip to Sandals, Jamaica - We have never even really had a couples vacation. we have wanted to go to the Caribbean for along time.
- Bought a second used car - Since I changed jobs, no more company car. It would be much more convenient to have two and it would be paid off.
- HUGE Christmas - Could of gone nuts!!! Lots of plastic pieces to step on YEAH!
- Killer Guitar - Their is a great guitar that I could get a great deal on, once in a lifetime deal in fact!
- Doubled our savings! - Nearly $7000 in savings for Emergencies or to help us begin our re fiance program.
Anyway you get the point...what I am paying for is dinners that were a long time ago, that we couldn't obviously afford and other stuff, most of which is gone!
Instead of depressing me it really helped to clarify why this is so important to accomplish. I just don't want to be alive, I want to LIVE and experience all the great things life has available to us.
Think about this the next time you pick up the plastic...are you alive or Living!
You deserve better...