Sponsored Links

Monday, January 28, 2008

I am Late Blogging about Procrastination



I hate to admit it but I am a procrastinator. It isn't that I am lazy or don't work hard, but without time clock pressure building up, I have a hard time focusing on a single issue. This has affected my money management, time management and overall well-being.


I am not alone in this, Stephen Hawking, the preeminent Physicist of our time said that finding out that he had ALS was the one of the best things that ever happened to him, as it forced him to focus on a certain topic, in his case Physics. He said otherwise he probably would have dabbled away at 1000's of different subjects instead of focusing on one.


For me, there is something about the time pressure, or it needed to be done now that focuses me. Perhaps it is that I just see to many possibilities and having no time forces a decision. "A or B, youngish Lad..."


That being said I do not miss deadlines or delay others with my issue. It is there on time, even if I work 24-36 hours straight. It isn't fair or proper to make others suffer due to your inability to meet your responsibilities.


So how about you...Are you a procrastinator? If so does it empower, or hurt you, or others? How has this affected your personal finances and money management?

4 Comments:

Ian Denny said...

Yes - I put off stuff like personal finances. In fact, I'm very talented at avoiding personal finance stuff.

I've been guilty the last few years of focusing on trying to make money as a way of keeping ahead.

In fact, what I did was drain every last bit of credit I could muster to keep a failing business alive.

There was a chance of breaking through, but in the end the problem was too big to survive it.

Now, with the benefit of hindsight, I've managed to turn over a new leaf.

Without a credit rating and access to credit, I've got a built-in method of controlling spending - I can only spend what we have left over after the essentials are now automatically paid for.

Noel Larson said...

Ian,

You have really learned some great lessons that no MBA could ever teach you. History shows that a lot of successful people failed many times before succeeding. Look at Abe Lincoln, he failed at politcs many times and looked to be a wash-out. He is now considered one of the best Presidents in US history (of course he did get shot!)

Thanks for commenting!

Anonymous said...

I procrastinate some things, but not all. Like you though, I don't ever miss a deadline or a commitment. I just can't stand doing that.

Noel Larson said...

Me either...It is one thing to punish myself...another to hit others.

Sponsored Links

Great Deals