It is time to get back on the budget horse. For the last few weeks we have been a bit slack compared to our December gusto.
It started like any other slip starts; various Ninja bills, that we know better to have hit and I broke a couple of my "Golden Rules."
Here's the breakdown:
- Ninja Bill #1 - Gas Bill was $100 higher then budget...due to thermostat gremlins!
- Ninja Bill #2 - Electric Bill $70 Higher due to Christmas Lights and not turning off regular lights
- Golden Rule #428 Clothes - As Dave Ramsey Says, he never has counseled naked people! Two of the kids needed Winter coats. They are growing like weeds and I didn't plan for...winter :(
- Golden Rule #689 Steam valve - In saving for my golf club I left no room for anything else. Since I get my allowance in cash and I am stooopid, I have carried the cash around. This has led to over spending on stuff I don't need.
- Golden Rule #53 Budget for the Obvious - After doing a great job on Christmas and the girls birthdays I forgot to budget for my mother-in-law (doh!), step-father, and...(wait for it) my birthday! So scrabble and over spend budget again. I asked to skip mine which got me in hot water!
- Golden Rule #541 Don't Get Cocky - Moved too much over to savings too quick. didn't look forward enough.
- Golden Rule #541b Get too Depresed About it - You aren't your budget, mistakes aren't sign-posts that you are a personal failure.
Long and short of it is my ignoring a few little things threw us off the horse. And in travel and a silly packed work schedule and...here we are.
So I can make it up...I think, but time to pay the piper. Remember we are all human, we are mistake making creatures. Just don't let personal finance mistakes become patterns, or worse, just the thing to tell you to quit, cause you cannot do it.
Get back on the horse!