*Warning - This post is being written while I can't sleep and I am digging deep into my ego/super ego!*
In the movie for "Brief History of Time" Steven Hawking said that ALS was one of the best things that happened to him as it made him focus on one key area of Physics. Now ALS is a horrible disease that I hope to see eradicated in my lifetime, but it makes you really think about the power of Focus and what I call "Compartmentalizing."
At a recent talk our CEO, when asked about his success and his career pointers for the audience, he said one word. Focus
Basically, if you try to be great at everything, you will be at best mediocre at a lot of stuff.
His point was that you can be really good at 2-3 things max; otherwise there is just not enough time in the day to focus on those areas. His point was he picked his Career and Wife. He tried to really focus on those two areas. He didn't get into Golf until later as his career had reached an apex, and he really didn't have the time to do other things to the level he felt where he was achieving.
My List of stuff I am Interested In:
- Family - Husband
- Family - Father of Three
- Other Writing
- My Finances
- Health (Or...I will die!...or diet :) )
- Entertainment - Movies
- Entertainment - Video Games
Not to mention all the sub-bullets I am not listing, or that my attention span is that of a Gnat on Prom Night...I have really felt this pull in my life since I can remember, back to being a young child. I have had those feelings before that, "Work is great, Home life is crap..." Or, "Wow we are getting along well, too bad my boss is chapped at me!"
So to try to deal with these areas I am trying to compartmentalize, or really Focus on that area when I am on it. I am really trying to work the following:
- Determining what really matters to me in whole and each area
- Have real Short term, Medium term and Long term goals
- Seperate the wheat from the chaff - Is it really important to lower my golf score?
- Focus on what I am doing at the time (Compartmentalize). - If I am working on my finances I am working on my finances. If I am playing Legos with the boy (his Focus!!!) I am playing Legos, not emailing on the crackberry.
- Realizing that the last perfect guy died on the cross 2000 years ago (not being flipant to my strong faith friends)
Off to bed...need to Focus tomorrow!