Sponsored Links

Friday, March 14, 2008

Dead Home Computer Update - Ninja Bill o' Doom




"Aaargh!"

I am not a Pirate, I don't play one on TV, but you would not know that based on my language lately...no not blue I have little kids. But a lot of Aargh! has been heard.

Basically as I said before my hard drive drove off a cliff. Not a mechanical issue but a Windows Partition issue. Luckily, I found a great tech minutes from my house. A guy just out of college running his own business. He picked up the computer at the house Tueday and is (hopefully) delivering it back tonight. After exhaustive effort on his part, he was able to save my data (yeah!) but not my programs (boo!) as Windows had to be 100% ripped out and reloaded and new partitions set.

So, if you are still reading you might be saying to yourself...NEXT Blog! But actually I am discussing this as it taught and reinforced some lessons for me that I wanted to share...

Lessons Learnt (Hopefully!):

  • Back up the data on your hard drive...and not just to another area on your hard drive! Even though mine was saved, I still have to go back and update from the last time I saved. I know someone will comment...duh!...well fine, use me as the example of Gufus vs Gallant!
  • Keep your program discs handy! - I now need to go try and dig out all of the discs for my programs...yeah right! Some are handy others aren't and it is gonna cost me money.
  • Give a small business a chance - Normally if we were in SLC I would have taken this to Best Buy to have them fix it. They have been great, if not expensive! Finding this new business has been great a good guy that I have already began to tout to my friends! On top of it he quoted me 2 hour bench time when he started, this has now had more than 20! However, he is sticking to his initial quote, which mean, in my eyes, he is honest. I will use him again.
  • Major inconvenience vs Life - Although I was really bummed by this happening, and I will take precautions it doesn't again. It really isn't the end of the world. We all have an amazing ability to blow small stuff large!
  • Have an Emergency Fund! - This is the quintessential Ninja Bill. It popped out from nowhere and will cost a few hundred with new software. I would rather not spend it, but I have it! And it isn't going on my Credit Card. An Emergency Fund is the single most important thing you can do to ensure financial growth and success IMHO.

It looks like I have a big weekend project!

(Cartoon from Acclaim Images)

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the computer going down. Things like that are always a downer, but it's nice to know you have the means to handle it.

Noel Larson said...

It is at home and fixed! I just don't have any programs! I guess I am glad it is rainy...good weekend project!

Thanks for the visit and comment!

Anonymous said...

Moan! That is so miserable.

It's really a pain to remember to back everything up as you're going. A flash drive lives on the back of my Mac, but I still often forget to back up, especially when I'm in a hurry. One nice thing about mac.com is that you can use it as an off-site back-up server, which I figure could be handy in the event of a fire or a really thorough burglary.

Enjoy the weekend rebuilding your system! Argh, indeed.

Noel Larson said...

Thanks Funny...Luckily I got my data back, but because Windows was reinstalled, none of my programs.

Thanks for the support and visit!

Sponsored Links

Great Deals