Sponsored Links

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

A Tribute to Banana Nut Bread and Grandma...



I was planning to write something else tonight, but my mind kept coming back to Banana Nut Bread. Truth is I don't really like it, but yet right now I am desperately craving it.


You see every Christmas Eve growing up (the longest day of the year for a kid) we would pack up the car and drive up to Logan Iowa. 99.9% sure you have never heard of it, but it was a very special place. It was where my Grandma lived during all of my childhood.


All of my Father's brothers and sisters (10 total children, 9 who lived into adulthood) and all of my cousins (7000 of them :) ) would gather at Grandma's house to get together, run around, drive the adults nuts, talk about our Christmas wishes, be teased about the whereabouts of Mr. Santa, eat, do our present exchange, then collapse into a pile to be carried back to the car and whisked back to our beds with visions of...you get the idea.


We would also get a loaf of Grandma's Famous Banana Bread to take home for the next day. Like I said, I could take it or leave it, I was really a fudge kind of kid. But even after we all grew up and moved away every year we would get our little loaf of bread. It was the family inside joke; "Wonder what we are getting from Grandma?"


Unfortunately not this year. Grandma passed away right before her 88th birthday. And as these things go I wasn't able to get out there to see her much. Really less than 4-5 times after college. Just too busy. My mom and her husband as well as my brother, sister-in-law and brand new niece are all out here so it was hard to get out there, cause we'll do it next year.


So for all of the presents that I will get and give on Christmas, the one thing I want most won't be there...


So when you are in the bustle of Christmas running to and fro, think about what your Banana Nut Bread is and really gives thanks for it. It may be the last time you have a chance...


I miss you Grandma, God Bless

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

RacerX, ... what can I say but this brought tears to my eyes. I miss my Grandma too, very deeply. She was truly beloved. Thanks for the story and bringing back memories of my own...

Merry Christmas!
-SVB

Noel Larson said...

You are very kind.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

wealthy_1 said...

What a sweet story. Maturity really helps us to appreciate the little things in life like your Grandma's banana bread. It sounds like that was a special family tradition.

Noel Larson said...

It really was a great tradition. Sometimes we don't notice these things until they are gone. It has taought me not to take the simple stuff for granted.

Thank you for the kind comment, and you great blog as well!

The Bright Side said...

I too have tears in my eyes. My grandmother turns 89 this year, and that is part of my goals for 08...to spend more time with her. The joke in my family is that she will probably out-live us all, but you never know what life will throw at you and how quickly a loved one can be taken from you.

Noel Larson said...

It is funny how quick things like this come up. You think these people are invincible, but they aren't. You are smart to realize it now!

Sponsored Links

Great Deals