Sponsored Links

Thursday, March 13, 2008

My Blogs first 90 Days



Monday, March 10th was the 90-day anniversary of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Money. I was originally planning to post this Monday night, but then my computer died so it has been hit or miss time-wise. I really want to write this post to the person starting out (which I still am!) who is thinking about starting their own blog or just started and might be frustrated.

I started the blog for a couple of reasons. One, We were just starting to get serious about getting our finances in order and the advice and stories of others from the Blogsphere was very helpful in showing us we weren't alone in the good fight. Second, I have always enjoyed writing and wondered if it was something I could do as a wider shared project.

A couple key things that I learned so far, for those starting out (otherwise known as things I wish I knew when starting!):

  • It is way harder then it looks! - Knocking out approximately 50,000 words over 90-days is like writing a book in that amount of time...albeit with a horrible plot and ever changing characters!
  • You never know what post are going to click - I have written posts that I thought would get people talking and...crickets! Others like the Restaurant Guide took off (due to someone featuring it). So don't toss any idea. It could be the thing that takes you to another traffic plateau!
  • Don't get wrapped too deep in the numbers - Visitors at first have a very interesting traffic pattern. Stare at the numbers too much and you'll lose sight of what you are doing for the long term.
  • Learning to accept some folks just don't like you - I have pretty thick skin, but I saw myself getting wound-up over something someone would say...even though I don't know them, they don't know me, and we probably never will. It just doesn't matter.
  • You get to meet more great people then you could imagine! - Some people have bent over backwards to provide tips, information and links to expose this blog to their readers. It is very kind and the top thing that I am enjoying about doing this!

Top People to Thank:

  • Brightside of Debt - Great conversational writer that was one of the first that I read!
  • Madame X - My Open Wallet - First Googled "Personal Finance Blog" and found her first! She provided linking to her blogrole to a very new blog which really help people find LLPM.
  • ShoeMoney and John Chow - Two great blogs about the business of blogging and how to structure your site. Both have provided link back here through there comment sections which has really helped traffic.
  • Fiscal Musings - Great writer that puts out nothing but top-level work and a great cross-promotional friend
  • Mrs M and Catherine L - Both showing how important it is to go out and comment on others blogs and get the post rolling! (Even though they don't link to me in their blogroll :) )

Cool Milestones from the first 90-days:

  • Over 10,000 Visitors! (Half of them this week from The Consumerist!)
  • 3,872 Visitors in One Day!
  • Over 18,000 Page Views
  • Over 50 Subscribers
  • 3 Mentions on msn MoneyBlog
  • 1 Feature on msn MoneyBlog
  • 1 Mention on WSJ.online
  • 1 Mention on Reuters Online
  • Featured on The Consumerist

I truly never thought I would get that many readers ever, much less nearly 4,000 in one day. The milestones aren't there to brag, but to let you know you can do it to. I can be frustrating when you first have those days with 5 or 10 visitors, it will pick up! Just keep writing.

You have all been so kind in sharing so many great comments over the last 168 posts! I look forward to the next 90 days and beyond. Thank you all so much!

10 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog has really achieved some great things so far. I look forward to what's still in store.

Noel Larson said...

Thanks Fiscal. You have been a great friend and ally to this blog and I cannot thank you enough!

Sharon said...

Congratulations on your 90 days! Although I assumed you were on much longer! I agree with not taking things too personally. I had one comment that changed the way I put some personal financial information on my blog, and therefore started deleting things off my blog. I have since "relaxed" a bit, and know now that it wasn't "personal".

Noel Larson said...

Thanks Sharon! Yeah that is the tough part, huh...funny that it is always the ones that say "Anonymous"

One person really skewered me over the "Tips for a restaurant piece" I responded point by point in a nice way to her coments that I was stupid...funny thing though. She moderates all of her comments!

Thanks so much for being an important part of this blog. Your comments are always great!

Madame X said...

Wow, you really are off to a great start! Glad I could help!

The Bright Side said...

Wow...90 days old. You're just a youngster and very wise for your age. Congrats. And, I too enjoy reading your blog. Although I still haven't figured out why you have Andy Kim as your avatar.

Anonymous said...

I like these updates. You're doing amazing well. Sorry about the Blogroll, but I decided to scrap it and just use CommentLuv and recent comments. Some of the people in the roll were no longer blogging, so it seemed to be a better way.

Noel Larson said...

@Madame X - Thanks very much, you have been a great help!

@Brightside - Thanks again! Plus I am glad you are sticking around too! I am very impressed that you were able to ID Andy Kim...very impressive. I might change it up soon. Really a fairly random act of silliness!

@Cath - Love the Comment Luv...Just a gentle tease. I recomend your site 100% regardless. It is one one the best sites for someone runing, or thinking anout, running their own business!

Once again...I thank you all very much for the supprot and guidence during the beginning of the blog. Keep reading and commenting...Please!

Anonymous said...

I don't link to you? :-O

Augh. I don't link to anyone, it seems...you're the second blog I read every day who's mentioned that to me this week. Fixed that. :) I just don't think about my blogroll much.

Congrats on 90 days. You've been doing an awesome job. The next 90 days will be the hardest, I think. But I think you'll blaze through them. :)

Noel Larson said...

Mrs M - No issue, just a gentle ask. You have done a tone for this blog and I am a daily reader of yours...as are very many on here!

Super thanks for all!

Sponsored Links

Great Deals